Are you interested in writing mystery fiction, but don't know where to start? Do you come up with ideas, but find yourself stuck on where to take them?
- provides an overview of different types of mystery writing;
- discusses how to structure a story;
- describes how to develop interesting characters;
- covers the effective use of dialogue in mystery writing; and
- discusses the themes and tropes that distinguish the mystery genre from other literature.
If you're looking for the basics on how to write compelling mystery fiction, this course is for you.
Author and Screenwriter
About the instructor
Debbi Mack is the New York Times bestselling author of IDENTITY CRISIS, the first book in the Sam McRae Mystery Series, featuring Maryland lawyer-sleuth Stephanie Ann “Sam” McRae. She has also written and published a young adult novel called INVISIBLE ME, a thriller called THE PLANCK FACTOR, and several short stories, one of which was nominated for a Derringer Award.
Debbi hosts a podcast called the Crime Cafe, where she interviews other crime, suspense, and thriller authors every two weeks.
Debbi has also written two feature film screenplays: one that made the 2016 Scriptapalooza semi-finals and an adaptation of her first novel.
A native of Queens, NY, Debbi currently lives in Columbia, MD, with her husband and cats. Debbi enjoys reading, movies, travel, baseball, walking, cats and good espresso--not necessarily in that order. Her author website is at www.debbimack.com.